We shop highly rated insurance companies to save you time and money.
We shop highly rated insurance companies to save you time and money.
Find the best home and auto insurance rates for you with SelectQuote.
Finding the right home and auto insurance for you is just as important as deciding where to live or what to drive. You want to make sure your investments are fully covered and your family is protected, but you don’t want to overpay. No matter what you’re looking for in home and auto insurance—the most comprehensive coverage, lowest rate, quality customer service or all of the above—SelectQuote can help.
Shopping for insurance may seem complicated, but working with an experienced licensed SelectQuote agent can streamline the process. Our technology allows us to search dozens of the most trusted home and auto insurance carriers in just minutes, resulting in unbiased quotes for you to choose from that are tailored to your needs. This not only saves you time, it also saves you money—and we save our customers an average of $510 per year on their auto and home insurance.
SelectQuote is here to answer any home and auto insurance questions you may have, from understanding the different types of coverage available to identifying what discounts you may qualify for. Ready to find the best home and auto insurance for you? Let us shop while you save.
There’s no place like home, so protect it.
Some of the best moments in life come from the simple comforts of home, which is why you want to ensure those most valuable assets are protected. From the roof over your head to the possessions inside, home insurance is an important first step to make sure you’re covered in the event of a catastrophe. And when you have questions about coverage, you need a reliable, unbiased source to help you make an informed decision.
This is where we come in—SelectQuote can help you find an affordable home insurance policy that provides the protection you need at a price you can afford.
Auto insurance helps you drive with the peace of mind that your vehicle and everyone inside it are protected.
All the different auto insurance coverage options and price points can be overwhelming. SelectQuote makes it easy by comparing prices and coverage options from some of the most trusted insurance companies in just minutes. We’re available at every step of the process to answer all the questions you may have so you fully understand your policy—including the fine print—all while staying within your budget.
No matter what your auto insurance needs are, SelectQuote can help you find the best coverage at the best price for you. We shop, you save.
Get the Most Out of Your Home and Auto Insurance by Bundling Your Policies
Why bundle? Because it’s one of the easiest ways to save money.
Bundling your home and auto insurance policies together can save you both time and money, especially when you work with SelectQuote. Also known as a multi-policy or companion discount, bundling means taking different types of insurance and “bundling” them together with a single insurance carrier. This carrier gives you a discounted rate on the bundled policies—often saving you hundreds of dollars a year—and then serves as a convenient, one-stop-shop for your insurance needs after your purchase.
While bundling home and auto insurance is one of the most common ways to save, it’s not the only multi-policy option. SelectQuote can help you bundle the following:
- Condos and townhomes
- Mobile homes and recreational vehicles (RVs)
- Motorcycles, classic cars and off-road vehicles
- Mobile homes and RVs
- Boats and watercraft
SelectQuote has options for additional coverage, including:
- Flood insurance
- Earthquake insurance
- Renters insurance
- Insurance for rental properties
- Umbrella policies
SelectQuote takes the hassle out of shopping and comparing rates by doing it for you, providing you with unbiased home and auto insurance quotes in just minutes. This includes finding bundled insurance quote options that save our customers an average of $757 per year.
If you’re not currently bundling, you could be missing out on some major savings. Shop with SelectQuote today and let us find the right bundled insurance policy for you.
Common Questions About Home and Auto Insurance
Is bundling insurance worth it?
It’s crucial to evaluate the individual policies before deciding on bundling, which is where working with SelectQuote comes in handy. An insurance carrier might have a strong reputation for homeowners insurance but may not be the same level for auto or flood. We can help you figure out where you’ll save the most money while also receiving the right amount of coverage to protect your assets.
How much money can you save by bundling?
SelectQuote customers save an average of $757 per year when they bundle their home and auto insurance.*
In addition to a bundling discount for multiple policies, some insurers might be able to provide a single deductible for both policies. This could help save money in the long run should accidents occur to the assets you’re hoping to insure.
Can I claim home insurance on my taxes?
However, there are other deductions you can claim as a homeowner as long as you itemize your taxes and keep track of your expenses throughout the year. They include:
- Mortgage interest
- Up to $5,000 in property taxes if single or married filing separately and $10,000 in property taxes if married and filing jointly
- Home equity loan interest
- Home office expenses if you operate a business in your home
- Necessary home improvements, like adding ramps, widening doorways and installing medical equipment to make your home accessible for a medical reason
- Private mortgage insurance (PMI)
What is the difference between a total replacement cost home insurance policy and an actual cash value home insurance policy?
Your homeowners insurance policy might have either total replacement cost coverage or actual cash value coverage included. Knowing the difference between them is important in understanding how much it may cost to replace your home:
- Actual cash value insurance policies provide coverage for the current cash value of the dwelling or property by factoring in depreciation. Depending on the type of claim, you may not be able to fully replace or repair the loss if the current value is significantly less than the cost of a new item.
- Total replacement cost insurance policies ignore depreciation and replace the current value of the home named in the claim. These insurance policies are typically more expensive, but means you likely won’t have to worry about increased cost of materials.
Here’s an example: a home valued at $300,000 may cost $375,000 to rebuild due to inflation and increased material or labor costs. If you had an actual cash value policy, it would not cover the remaining $75,000 needed to rebuild the home. If you had a total replacement cost policy, the entire $300,000 would be covered as long as your policy limit was not over $300,000.
How do I lower the cost of my car insurance premium?
Here are some tips on how you may be able to lower your car insurance rates:
- Look for car safety and security features when buying a new vehicle. Driving a car equipped with built-in safety features (such as airbags and antilock brakes) and security features (like anti-theft and engine cut-off systems) may qualify you for lower car insurance premiums. These vehicles are statistically less likely to be in an accident or stolen than cars that don’t have these features.
- Opt for a higher policy deductible. Your deductible is the amount of money you’ll pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. The higher your deductible, the lower your premium generally is. Deductibles on auto insurance policies typically range from $0 to $1,500.
- Take a safe driving course. Some auto insurance companies offer discounts for drivers who successfully complete a safe driving course at an accredited institution. Typically, these courses are taken by teenage drivers and seniors, but any driver may benefit from them.
- Park your car inside a garage. Many insurance companies offer discounts to people who park their cars inside a garage, rather than out on the street or in a driveway. Statistics show that vehicles in garages are less likely to be stolen or in accidents.
- Compare before you buy a policy. Be sure to get several auto insurance quotes when shopping around, then compare them side-by-side to pick the one that’s best for your situation. While this is time consuming, it’s well worth the money you can save. By shopping with SelectQuote, we can streamline that process for you and shop dozens of policies tailored for your needs in just minutes and find the one that works best for you.
- Bundle your auto insurance policy with another policy. If you buy more than one policy from the same insurer, you may qualify for a multi-policy discount. Consider bundling your house and car, all the cars in your household, or vacation homes, RV’s, motorcycles, boats, or other assets together with your car to reap the benefits of big savings.
- Get good grades. If your full-time student is earning good grades, they may qualify for a lower car insurance rate. Students typically must be under age 25 and unmarried. Your agent can tell you about other potential ways to save if a young driver is on your policy.
Does car insurance cover the car or the driver?
Your car insurance coverage covers the vehicle and any driver listed on your policy. This makes it very important to list all drivers in your household on your policy. Your policy may offer some protection for licensed drivers not listed on your policy who you occasionally let drive your car, such as:
- Extended family (including parents, grandparents, aunt/uncles, niece/nephews)
- Friends (such as when sharing driving shifts during a road trip, borrowing your car while their car is in the shop, etc.)
- A significant other (who doesn’t live in your household)
Types of Home and Auto Insurance
The type of home and auto insurance policies right for you depend on your unique situation, where you live and how much coverage you need. Some of the coverage types and their descriptions are listed below.
Most home insurance policies include:
- Dwelling coverage, which covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding the structure of your home and includes the windows and roof.
- Personal property coverage, which protects belongings inside your home like appliances and furniture.
- Liability coverage, which helps protect you against any lawsuits filed as a result of injury on your property.
- Guest medical protection coverage, which pays for necessary medical expenses for a person who gets injured on your property.
- Additional living expenses coverage, which can help pay for lodging, food and other expenses required as a result of your home being uninhabitable after a covered loss.
Types of additional home insurance coverage include:
- Flood insurance, which isn’t typically by standard homeowners insurance policies. If you live in an area prone to flooding, you should add this type of insurance to your existing coverage.
- Water backup coverage, which covers damages to your home if a drain line or sewer line backs up. One common example of this: your sump pump fails and water backs up into your home.
- Identity theft coverage, which can pay for legal fees, lost wages or other expenses if your identity is stolen.
- Scheduled personal property coverage, which can pay to replace valuable items such as engagement rings or antiques. These items often need to be professionally appraised as part of the policy.
The different types of auto insurance include:
- Bodily injury liability coverage, which helps cover the cost of injuries or funeral expenses after an auto accident where you are found to be at fault.
- Property damage liability coverage, which helps pay for property damage in an accident where you are found to be at fault.
- Underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage, which can help cover costs related to injuries or property damage if you’re in an accident that isn’t ruled your fault and the at-fault party either doesn’t have sufficient auto insurance coverage or is uninsured.
- Collision coverage, which covers damagesnto your vehicle after an accident involving another driver and vehicle.
- Comprehensive coverage, which pays for damages to your vehicle from non-collison events that are out of your control. These events include falling objects, storm damage, accidents with animals, fire, theft and vandalism.
- Gap insurance, which pays the difference between what a financed or leased vehicle is worth and what you currently still owe on the loan.
- Personal injury protection coverage, which pays for medical expenses for you or your passengers after an incident.
A SelectQuote agent can help you navigate the complexity of buying home and auto insurance.
Throughout the process, we’re here for you to ask questions. We know the insurance shopping process can be frustrating and confusing, so we’re here to walk you through your options—all while staying within your budget.
We’ll get to know your exact situation and then use our technology to quickly search dozens of policies from highly rated carriers on your behalf. The result? Home and auto insurance options that are right for you in minutes.
At SelectQuote, we shop, you save.