What’s covered by auto insurance if your car is vandalized or stolen?

What is covered by car insurance if your car is vandalized or stolen?

Understanding what’s covered by your car insurance is important, but especially in the event your car is vandalized or stolen. Whether or not your auto insurance covers theft and vandalism depends on your policy, but below can explain the type of coverage you need in the event of car theft.

What is comprehensive insurance?

Comprehensive car insurance covers damage to your car from an event that is out of your control, such as a natural disaster, theft, vandalism or other unpredictable events. If your policy includes comprehensive coverage, you should be covered up to the actual cash value of your vehicle in the event your car has been stolen.

Car Insurance You Need in Different Scenarios

  • Your car is damaged as a result of a break-in: Comprehensive coverage should cover repair costs for things like broken door locks and smashed windows.
  • Your car is stolen: If you have comprehensive coverage, your vehicle’s value should be covered.
  • Your vehicle is vandalized: Comprehensive car insurance should provide coverage as long as you follow the correct steps when filing your claim.
  • Your personal belongings were stolen from your car: Comprehensive coverage only covers components that are permanent or pre-installed parts of your car. If you have a home insurance, property insurance or renters policy, you may be covered for your personal belongings.

What to Do if Your Car is Broken Into, Vandalized, or Stolen

If your car is broken into, vandalized or stolen, the first thing you should do is call the police to file a report, as this step is typically required by your auto insurance company. Be sure to also document the damage by taking pictures and creating a list of damages and/or items stolen. You’ll want to have this all on hand when you contact your car insurance company to file a claim

SelectQuote Can Help You Find the Best Car Insurance For You

Purchasing a car can be one of the biggest investments you can make, so ensuring you get the best car insurance at a price you can afford is crucial. At SelectQuote, we’ll shop some of the most trusted car insurance companies on your behalf and compare prices and coverage in just minutes.

Article Categories

Get Your Free Home and Auto Insurance Quote Today.

We do the shopping. You do the saving.