Auto insurance is intended to protect you, and anyone you share the road with, from the potentially high costs of an accident. Purchasing a car can be one of the biggest investments you make, so ensuring you get the best car insurance (at a price you can afford) is crucial. Whether you’re looking for a new policy or it’s your first time buying car insurance, here are some tips to help get you started.
Tip #1: Shop Early
The best time to shop for a new car insurance policy is before your current policy expires, when a new driver is coming on board or when you purchase a new vehicle. You can typically get a discount if shopping before your current policy expires and you’ll want to start looking at least 30 days ahead of your policy’s expiration to ensure you have everything lined up in time.
Tip #2: Be Prepared
Before you start shopping, you’ll want to have some basic information on hand:
- Driver name and date of birth
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle Information Number (VIN)
- Current mileage on your car
- Address where the vehicle is registered
- Prior insurance carrier
- Vehicle’s date of purchase
As you go through the process, you’ll have to answer questions to help determine your rate and earn potential discounts.
Tip #3: Ask Questions
Auto insurance policies can be complex, so it’s helpful to have a list of questions prepared to make sure you get the coverage you need.
Questions to ask about your car insurance:
- Are my coverages up-to-date? What should I modify or change?
- Do I have enough coverage to protect me and my family?
- What add-ons are available? How much will it cost to add on rental car reimbursement, roadside assistance and other add-ons that can help me should I have an accident?
- What discounts are available for multiple cars and drivers insured through the same carrier?
- Do I qualify for any discounts if I bundle my home and auto insurance?
- Are discounts available for lower mileage and how do I qualify?
- What accident forgiveness options are available?
Tip #4: Avoid Common Auto Insurance Mistakes
Trying to keep track of all the moving pieces of purchasing car insurance can be confusing. Common mistakes people make include:
- Not fully understanding coverage
- Focusing only on the cost
- Failing to shop around
- Not considering add-ons or bundles
Choosing the right car insurance can be a complex process and one size does not fit all. At SelectQuote, we can help you compare coverage and rates in just minutes, finding you the most affordable plan available to you.