Having the right auto insurance coverage will help protect you and others on the road from the costs of an accident. Purchasing a car is a big investment, and it’s important to find affordable car insurance with the right amount of coverage to protect both your vehicle and other drivers. Whether you’re shopping for a new policy or updating your current one, we’ve gathered some tips to help you get started.
Tip #1: Shop Early
The best time to shop for a new car insurance policy is before your current policy expires, when a new driver is coming on board or when you purchase a new vehicle. You can typically get a discount if shopping before your current policy expires and you’ll want to start looking at least 30 days ahead of your policy’s expiration to ensure you have everything lined up in time.
Tip #2: Shop Around
The shopping process can get overwhelming, and you may be tempted to settle for the first auto insurance quote you get. However, this may not get you the most competitive rate. Shopping around for different rates helps you explore all your options so you can find an affordable policy that meets your needs. You can even work with an insurance broker who can do the quote shopping process on your behalf. SelectQuote allows you to shop top auto insurance carriers with ease by searching for and compiling unbiased price comparisons for you in just minutes.
Tip #3: Be Prepared
In order to get you an accurate quote, insurance carriers will want you to provide some basic personal information. To make the shopping process less complicated, it helps to know what information you’ll be asked for in order to get a quote. Before you start shopping, you’ll want to have this information on hand:
- Driver name and date of birth
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle Information Number (VIN)
- Current mileage on your car
- Address where the vehicle is registered
- Prior insurance carrier
- Vehicle’s date of purchase
As you go through the process, you’ll have to answer questions to help determine your rate and earn potential discounts.
Tip #4: Ask Questions
Auto insurance policies can be complex, with many details you may not have thought of. It’s helpful to have a list of questions prepared to make sure you get the coverage you need. Here are some questions to consider as you go through the auto insurance shopping process:
Questions to ask about your car insurance:
- Is my coverage up-to-date? What should I modify or change?
- Do I have enough coverage to protect me and my family?
- What add-ons are available?
- How much will it cost to add on rental car reimbursement, roadside assistance and other add-ons that can help me should I have an accident?
- What discounts are available for multiple cars and drivers insured through the same carrier?
- Do I qualify for any discounts if I bundle my home and auto insurance?
- Are discounts available for lower mileage and how do I qualify?
- What accident forgiveness options are available?
Tip #5: Avoid Common Auto Insurance Mistakes
There are many factors to keep in mind when looking for the right auto insurance coverage. There’s no doubt it can be confusing trying to keep track of all the moving pieces of purchasing a policy. It’s easy for certain details to slip through the cracks, but with a little preparation you can avoid some common mistakes. These include:
- Not fully understanding coverage
- Focusing only on the cost
- Failing to shop around
- Not considering add-ons or bundles
Need help finding the right car insurance for your new car? Let SelectQuote help.
Choosing the right car insurance can be a complicated process, but we’re here to help you navigate it. At SelectQuote, our experienced licensed insurance agents do the shopping on your behalf. We search highly-rated carriers in just minutes, quickly and easily finding you an affordable plan that meets your needs.