If shopping for auto insurance has you feeling overwhelmed, you’re not alone. Millions of Americans shop for car insurance each year, both when buying new vehicles and when trying to save money by switching insurance companies.
Whether you’re trying to find your first car insurance quote or want to compare your current auto policy with other options to find the best deal, SelectQuote can help. From finding free car insurance quotes to knowing how discounts and deductibles can impact what you pay, we can walk you through the basics of shopping for car insurance.
What is a car insurance quote?
A car insurance quote provides you with detailed information about what you’ll pay for auto insurance coverage, but it doesn’t just include the price. A good auto insurance quote will also offer detailed information about what’s covered under your policy, any exclusions to that policy, available discounts, your insurance coverage deductible and more.
Here is an example of a car insurance quote:
Insurance Proposal Prepared Exclusively For:
11111 W. Example Street
San Antonio, TX 78227
Personal Auto Policy
2019 Mitsubishi Outlander
Bodily Injury Per Person
|$300,000 Bodily Injury Per Incident||$500|
1-Year Premium: $2,317.00
Monthly Premium: $193.08
Before you purchase auto insurance from any company, be sure to ask key questions that will help you get not only the best coverage for your needs, but the best possible rates, too.
What questions should I ask when buying car insurance?
Before you sit down and purchase an auto insurance policy, there are answers you need to have in hand to important questions about your coverage needs and how different factors can impact what you pay for insurance.
1. How much auto insurance coverage do I need?
The state you live in determines the minimum legal amount of liability insurance you’re required to carry for your vehicle, but there are other factors that determine how much coverage you need. If you’ve financed or leased a brand new vehicle, for example, you may be required to carry full coverage. After sorting out what kind of insurance you need to carry, we can recommend additional coverage to suit your specific needs.
Working with SelectQuote gives you the chance to explain your situation, discuss everything that needs to be covered, and helps you figure out any potential gaps in your auto coverage.
2. What deductible do you recommend?
Choosing an insurance policy often involves picking the right balance between your monthly premiums and your deductible. Lower monthly payments often lead to higher deductibles, and vice versa. SelectQuote helps you weigh the advantages and disadvantages of each option as you make your decision.
3. What discounts are available to me?
Most insurance companies offer plenty of ways for you to cut your insurance costs in the form of substantial discounts. You may be eligible for a discount for bundled auto and home insurance policies or for customer loyalty. Other discounts for safe driving, telemetrics and even safety equipment exist, too.
4. What exclusions are part of the policy?
It’s important to clarify what is and isn’t included as part of your auto insurance policy. Some car insurance policies may not cover theft, for example. If you’ve purchased the minimum legal liability coverage, you won’t be covered if you hit a deer with your car. SelectQuote can simplify the process and ensure your policy has the coverage you need without coverage gaps.
Factors that Affect Car Insurance Rates
Different factors influence how your car insurance premiums are calculated. It takes into account basic information, and can include these details:
- Age, make and model of your vehicle
- Where you live
- Your credit score
- Your driving history for all drivers on the policy, not just you
- Vehicle report history
- Vehicle usage
- Annual mileage
If you have questions about your auto policy quote and how each factor influences what you’re currently paying for auto insurance, SelectQuote can help you find ways to improve your chances of getting better rates by shopping around.
Four Tips to Get the Lowest Auto Insurance Quote
Finding the lowest auto insurance quote can take time. If you’re willing to do the legwork, you can sometimes get substantial discounts. But how do you shop for coverage if you’re busy? Luckily, we’ve got tips for getting several quotes from multiple insurance companies at once.
- Compare quotes from several insurance companies at one time. The easiest way to do this is to partner with someone and share your information with them once. Shopping with SelectQuote is one of the best ways to get car insurance quotes, because we handle the hard work of sourcing prices from several different insurance companies that we represent at one time.
- Don’t be afraid to raise your deductible. If you’re a safe driver with a limited claims history, you could save big money on your auto insurance by raising your deductible to lower your monthly premiums.
- Don’t buy more coverage than you need. It may be tempting to buy full coverage for your vehicle, but you may not need it. Pay attention to what your car is currently worth. If your monthly premiums or your deductible exceed the car’s value, you may not want to pay for too much extra coverage.
- Don’t forget to ask about discounts. No matter how off-the-wall it sounds, there are plenty of auto insurance discounts out there for people at all stages of life. Common discounts available for new (and existing) auto customers include:
- Safe driving discounts
- Customer loyalty discounts
- Student discounts
- Military discounts
- Bundled insurance discounts
Your discount eligibility will likely differ based on your state, age and insurance company. Some companies offer more competitive discounts than others. SelectQuote can help you compare all policy options and find you affordable coverage.
Best Way to Get Car Insurance Quotes: Let SelectQuote Help
Getting a great car insurance quote (or several at once) shouldn’t be stressful. SelectQuote simplifies the process of buying car insurance by shopping for rates and discounts from several insurance companies at one time. Whether you have questions about the best way to get car insurance quotes or feel like you need a little help finding affordable rates, we can help. Trust SelectQuote to shop for coverage and help save you time and money.
Example rates of $193.08/month ($2,317/year) are from an insurance company SelectQuote represents in March 2022 for a Personal Auto Policy including $100,000 in bodily injury coverage per person, $300,000 in bodily injury coverage per incident, $500 in a comprehensive deductible, and $500 in a collision deductible for a 52-year-old female with an active license status, good credit rating, 0 incidents, and primary purpose of driving is pleasure. Final rates will be based on the insurance company’s underwriting and a more complete review of the consumer’s application. Rates may also vary by term, policy amount, and state.