Our customers save $757* on average when they bundle their home and auto insurance policies.
SelectQuote shops and compares home and auto insurance rates from dozens of our trusted carriers to find you the lowest price.
Home Insurance and Car Insurance in New Jersey
Finding affordable insurance for your New Jersey home or vehicle shouldn’t be hard. In fact, it’s never been easier than ever to buy insurance when you choose SelectQuote. We handle the work of sourcing and comparing rates, which saves you time and money. We offer unbiased access to free quotes for home and auto insurance, including discounted bundled policies that can save you an average of $63* per month.
Homeowners Insurance in
For the 63.9% of New Jersey residents who own their homes, home insurance is an absolutely necessary purchase. Whether it’s due to fires, storms or flooding and sewage backups, homeowners have to worry about all types of loss. Homeowners insurance can help you preserve your property and—depending on your types and level of coverage—even rebuild after a disaster.
Before you sit down to buy home insurance, stop to consider the following coverage options. Actual cash value policies pay the current cash value of your home or property, minus depreciation. Replacement cost policies pay the full replacement cost to rebuild or repair your property and do not take depreciation into account.
This means if your home costs $250,000 to rebuild but is valued at $225,000, an actual cash value policy might put the responsibility of the remaining $25,000 on your shoulders.
Homeowners Insurance Coverage Options in
What kinds of home insurance can you buy in New Jersey? SelectQuote customers commonly purchase home policies that include the following types of home insurance coverage:
- Dwelling coverage protects the actual structure of your home, including its walls and roof.
- Personal property coverage protects the items inside your house, such as furniture, clothes and appliances. Some high-dollar items may be excluded.
- Other structures cover damages or losses to the physical structure of buildings on your property that aren’t attached to your house, such as a detached garage.
- Guest medical protection coverage pays for medical expenses if someone is injured on your property.
- Liability protection coverage defends and protects you against lawsuits after another person is injured on your property or you damage their property.
- Additional living expenses coverage pays for increased living expenses such as lodging and food if a covered loss renders your home uninhabitable.
Common Causes of Loss in
Because of its location on the Atlantic coast, New Jersey is vulnerable to specific types of losses. Many home insurance claims involve the following causes of loss:
- Flooding isn’t covered by traditional home insurance despite several properties being at increased to severe risk of flooding over the next several decades.1
- Sewage backup is another big risk for New Jersey homeowners. Excessive rain or snowmelt can cause sewer pipes to back up and the overflow of untreated sewage or stormwater can flood your home.
- Hurricanes and other windstorms can hit areas of New Jersey hard, leading to flooding and severe home damage.
- Fire is always a risk for homes in any state, but some of the heavily wooded areas of New Jersey are at risk of wildfire damage. Fire and smoke damage can lead to thousands of dollars in costly repairs or rebuilds.
- Snowstorms can be frequent in New Jersey, leading to collapsed roofs, water damage and other losses.
Additional Coverage Options Recommended for Homeowners
In addition to standard home insurance coverage, New Jersey residents may want to purchase additional coverage depending on where they live and what their risks of specific losses are:
- Flood insurance is vital for homeowners who are at an increased risk of flooding. Flood insurance isn’t usually sold by most home insurance companies as part of a standard policy. Instead, it can be purchased on its own from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Sewage backup coverage can help in the event that your basement floods due to a failed sump pump or backed up sewers.v
- Identity theft coverage can help you recoup the costs of fighting identity theft and other financial crimes
Our Home Insurance Companies in
SelectQuote partners with some of the most-trusted** home and auto insurance companies in New Jersey. We compare rates from these carriers to provide you with unbiased home insurance quotes for the coverage you need.
What is the average home insurance cost in ?
SelectQuote customers in New Jersey pay an average of $97.94*** per month for their coverage. Your own home insurance cost will differ based on several factors, including:
- Your policy limits and types of coverage
- Your ZIP code
- Your credit history
- The age and condition of your home
- Your number of previously filed claims
Homeowners Insurance Discounts in
If your home insurance seems like it might be too expensive, consider that insurance companies offer several discounts to help make their policies more affordable. You may be eligible for all manner of discounts:
- Customer loyalty discounts
- New homeowner discounts
- Home security system discounts
- Discounts for proactive repairs, such as roofs and windows
- Discounts for bundling home and auto insurance coverage
Bundle Your Home and Auto Insurance to Save Money
Bundling your home and auto insurance is one of the best ways to save money on both types of coverage. SelectQuote can help you save an average of $63* per month with bundled home and auto coverage from a single carrier.
Average Home and Auto Insurance Rates in
Rates listed below are real examples of home and auto insurance prices for SelectQuote customers in select New Jersey cities. Your rates will vary based on your situation and other factors.
|City||Avg. Monthly Home Insurance Rate||Avg. Monthly Auto Insurance Rate||Avg. Monthly Rate of Bundled Policies|
Average monthly rates are from policies by SelectQuote customers prior to 01/2022
Auto Insurance in
With thousands of drivers heading down the New Jersey Turnpike each day, it’s important to buy auto insurance in New Jersey. SelectQuote can help you find the best car insurance policy to meet your needs with unbiased quotes for affordable auto coverage.
Auto Insurance Laws and Requirements
New Jersey requires all drivers to buy auto insurance. While you do have a choice on where and how to buy a car insurance policy, every single driver must have a specific amount of coverage.
Auto insurance sold in New Jersey comes in two main forms, the basic policy and the standard policy.2 The basic policy satisfies the minimum legal requirements and may be a good fit for younger drivers or those with few responsibilities, but most drivers should opt for the standard policy. It provides more financial protection for you if you cause an accident. Types of auto insurance coverage available in New Jersey include:
|Type of Coverage||Standard Policy||Basic Policy|
|Bodily Injury Liability Coverage for claims or lawsuits by people injured as a result of an auto accident where you are at fault||As low as: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident As high as: $250,000 per person, $500,000 per accident||Not included, but $10,000 coverage for all persons, per accident is available as an option|
|Property Damage Liability Coverage for claims and lawsuits by people whose property is damaged due to an accident you have caused||As low as: $5,000 per accident As high as: $100,000 or more||$5,000 per accident|
|Personal Injury Protection Coverage for injuries sustained in auto accidents by you or other people covered by your policy||As low as: $15,000 per person or accidentAs high as: $250,000 or moreUp to $250,000 for certain injuries+ regardless of limit||$15,000 per person, per accidentUp to $250,000 for certain injuries+|
|Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage Coverage pays for property damages or bodily injury by another driver who does not have insurance or has less coverage than your underinsured motorist coverage||Available for amounts selected for liability coverage||None|
Pays for damages to your vehicle as a result of a collision with another vehicle or accident
|Optional||Available as optional coverage from some insurers|
Coverage for damage to your vehicle that is not a collision, including theft, fire, flooding, vandalism or broken windshields. Also includes animal collisions.
|Optional||Available as optional coverage from some insurers|
+ Permanent or significant brain injury, spinal cord injury or disfigurement or for medically necessary treatment of other permanent or significant injuries rendered at a trauma center or acute care hospital immediately following an accident and until the patient is stable, no longer requires critical care and can be transferred to another facility in the judgment of the physician.
Information from table above adapted from the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance2
Teen Driving Laws
Teen drivers in New Jersey are required to carry auto insurance as well, either on their own or as an added driver on their parent or guardian’s insurance policy. Teen drivers must also obtain a provisional driver’s license with significant restrictions, including:
- A curfew
- Limits on passengers in the vehicle
- A prohibition on mobile devices (including hands-free options)3
Car Registration Information
To register a vehicle that you own in New Jersey, you are required to schedule an appointment and bring the following4:
- Valid New Jersey driver’s license
- Proof of insurance
- Vehicle registration application form
For more information about vehicle registration in New Jersey, contact the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
What is the average car insurance cost in ?
The average monthly car insurance premium in New Jersey is $328.47.**** Your own rates will vary based on several factors, including:
- Your policy limits
- The type of coverage you buy
- Your driving record
- Your make, model and year of vehicle
- Your credit history
- Previous auto claims
Our Auto Insurance Companies in
SelectQuote partners with several leading auto insurance companies in New Jersey to provide you with unbiased comparisons of rates. We help you find affordable auto coverage that meets your needs, from minimum legal coverage to full coverage for your financed vehicle.
Home and Auto Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
SelectQuote helps New Jersey residents find affordable home and auto insurance, which means we hear lots of questions about coverage.
How do I shop for insurance in New Jersey?
When shopping for auto insurance in New Jersey, know your policy needs and your budget. Be sure to compare rates from several companies at once. Don’t forget to ask for discounts.
How should I shop for home insurance in New Jersey?
- Determine how much coverage you need to rebuild your house and replace your most important possessions. Create a personal property inventory to help with this.
- Compare quotes from several insurance companies at one time. Don’t forget to ask for discounts. SelectQuote can help with this!
- Make a decision on your policy based on price, customer service and stability ratings.
- Revisit your coverage needs each year to avoid overpaying for coverage and to make sure you are not underinsured.
How should I shop for auto insurance in New Jersey?
- Determine the amount of coverage you need. Some auto lenders may require you to buy additional insurance coverage beyond the standard or basic policy options.
- Compare quotes from many different insurance companies. Look at policy details, coverage limits, deductibles and other factors. SelectQuote can make this step painless by gathering all the information for you.
- Buy an auto insurance policy that meets your budget and provides all the coverage you need.
- Revisit your auto insurance needs each year. You may be able to save money by switching companies or bundling your home and auto policies.
What type of insurance is mandatory in New Jersey?
All New Jersey drivers are required to buy liability insurance, personal injury protection coverage and uninsured motorist coverage.
Do I need mobile home insurance in New Jersey?
If you live in a mobile home, you may be unable to buy a standard home insurance policy due to the increased risk of fire and wind damage that mobile homes often face. Mobile home insurance is available to offer many of the same protections as a standard home policy.
How can I lower my car insurance in NJ?
The best way to lower your car insurance costs is to look for discounts for safe driving, bundled home and auto coverage or customer loyalty. You may even be able to lower your monthly costs by increasing your deductible. If your vehicle is paid off and the value is less than the deductible, you may be able to drop certain optional coverage such as gap insurance, collision coverage and comprehensive coverage.
SelectQuote Can Shop Home or Auto Insurance to Save You Time and Money
Whether you’re a first-time insurance buyer or simply want to compare rates to find cheaper home and auto insurance coverage, let SelectQuote help. We’ll quickly pull quotes from our insurance partners to arm you with the knowledge needed to secure reliable, affordable coverage. Contact us today to learn more.
* Average customer who bundles savings based on an average of new SelectQuote Auto & Home Insurance policyholders between 1/9/2020 and 1/10/2021. Individual savings may vary, and are not guaranteed. Coverages and discounts subject to state availability and individual eligibility.
** Best’s Credit Ratings™ are under continuous review and subject to change and/or affirmation. For the latest Best’s Credit Ratings™ and Best’s Credit Reports (which include Best’s Credit Ratings™), visit the A.M. Best website at http://www.ambest.com. See Guide to Best’s Credit Ratings™ for explanation of use and charges.” “Best’s Credit Ratings™ reproduced herein appear under license from A.M. Best and do not constitute, either expressly or impliedly, an endorsement of SelectQuote or its recommendations, formulas, criteria or comparisons to any other ratings, rating scales or rating organizations which are published or referenced herein. A.M. Best is not responsible for transcription errors made in presenting Best’s Credit Ratings™. Best’s Credit Ratings™ are proprietary and may not be reproduced or distributed without the express written permission of A.M. Best Company.” A Best’s Financial Strength Rating opinion addresses the relative ability of an insurer to meet its ongoing insurance obligations. It is not a warranty of a company’s financial strength and ability to meet its obligations to policyholders. View our Important Notice: Best’s Credit Ratings for a disclaimer notice and complete details at http://www.ambest.com/ratings/notice
*** Average rates calculated based on the total number of SelectQuote home insurance customers in . Rates will vary based on location, age and condition of home and other factors.
**** Average rate is taken from all drivers who have purchased their auto insurance policy from SelectQuote. Rates will vary based on the level of coverage you purchase, your ZIP code, and other factors.
We do the shopping. You do the saving.