SelectQuote customers save $693 on average when they bundle home and auto insurance policies.
SelectQuote shops and compares home and auto insurance rates from dozens of our trusted carriers to find you the lowest price.
Home Insurance and Car Insurance in Massachusetts
If you own a home or vehicle in Massachusetts, you need insurance. This valuable financial safety net can help protect you in the event of a catastrophic loss or theft. Home and auto coverage doesn’t have to break your budget. By partnering with SelectQuote, you can save hundreds of dollars each year on the home and auto insurance coverage you need.
Homeowners Insurance in
Your Massachusetts home insurance policy can cover many different things, from damage due to storms to theft of personal property. Some insurance policies can cover you in the event of hail, fire, wind damage and more.
Home insurance premiums vary based on things like where you live and what your coverage limits are. Two major different types of policies exist for home insurance: actual cash value policies and replacement cost policies.
- Actual cash value policies provide coverage up to the limit when you buy. If your policy’s limit is $250,000 and repairs cost $300,000, you would be responsible for the remaining amount.
- Replacement cost policies cover the actual cost of a rebuild minus depreciation. This is not affected by factors like inflation, zoning updates or increased material or labor costs. Replacement cost policies are more expensive, but they are good if you plan on staying in your home for years.
Homeowners Insurance Coverage Options in
Most home insurance policies sold in Massachusetts will include most (if not all) of the following types of home insurance coverage:
- Dwelling coverage is a standard policy that covers the actual physical structure of your home. If you have an attached garage or other structure, this will be covered as well.
- Personal property coverage works to cover your household belongings. If it’s inside or outside your home, it is covered.
- Personal liability coverage protects you in the event that someone is injured on your property and you’re found at fault. It also covers damage to another person’s property.
- Guest medical protection coverage exists to cover people who are injured on your property, regardless of who may be at fault.
Common Causes of Loss in
Massachusetts homeowners face several different types of losses. Because of its location near the Atlantic ocean, the state sees both hurricanes and floods on the coasts as well as ice and snowstorms during the winter months.
Additional Coverage Options Recommended for Homeowners
Massachusetts homeowners should look into purchasing the following types of additional coverage:
- Flood insurance: Flooding isn’t covered under most insurance policies, which makes buying additional coverage for flood protection vital in many parts of the state. Flood insurance can be purchased as part of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Sewer backup coverage: Sewer backups are a problem in many areas when a sump pump fails or sewers back up. This leaves standing water in your home and causes massive damage.
Our Home Insurance Companies in
SelectQuote partners with leading home and auto insurance companies in Massachusetts to provide affordable, convenient home coverage. Our partner carriers offer a variety of coverage options to protect your home.
What is the average home insurance cost in ?
The average home insurance policy in Massachusetts costs $131.08+ per month, but this amount can vary based on several factors. The age and value of your home, your policy limits, where you live and the types of coverage you need can all impact the cost of homeowners insurance.
Homeowners Insurance Discounts in
Of course, discounts are available for Massachusetts homeowners if you know where to look. SelectQuote can help you find available discounts for things like new home ownership, energy and security upgrades, professional affiliations and even bundling your home and auto coverage with one carrier.
Bundle Your Home and Auto Insurance to Save Money
SelectQuote customers can save nearly $700 per year when they bundle home and auto insurance coverage with one provider. To learn more about bundled coverage rates, get your free quote online or call us today.
Average Home and Auto Insurance Rates in
The following rates are average premiums paid by real SelectQuote customers in different cities throughout Massachusetts. Your rates will vary based on several factors, including policy limits, ZIP code, type of home and more.
|City||Avg. Monthly Home Insurance Rate||Avg. Monthly Auto Insurance Rate||Avg. Monthly Rate of Bundled Policies|
Average monthly rates are from effective SelectQuote customer policies between 4/1/2022 and 3/31/2023.
Car Insurance in
Nearly 4.9 million licensed drivers called Massachusetts home in 2020,1 and in 2016 the state’s number of registered vehicles sat at 2.3 million2—a number that has certainly increased in the past six years. Each of those drivers are required to carry auto insurance on their cars, trucks and other vehicles.
Auto Insurance Laws and Requirements
All Massachusetts drivers are required to carry minimum legal coverage for each vehicle they own. This coverage, called liability coverage, pays for damages after a car accident where you are found to be at fault. Liability is only one of several types of auto insurance coverage:
Liability insurance pays for damages caused by you if the accident is your fault. It will also pay for medical bills incurred by the other driver or their passengers. Massachusetts requires drivers to have $20,000 of coverage for injuries per person, up to $40,000 per accident. It also requires $5,000 of coverage for property damage.
This coverage, known as 20/40/5 coverage, is the bare legal minimum for Massachusetts drivers.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays for medical expenses when the other driver is at fault and doesn’t have sufficient insurance coverage. Massachusetts requires drivers to carry $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.
- Personal injury protection insurance can help pay for medical expenses or funeral expenses for you or your passengers. Massachusetts requires all drivers to have $8,000 in coverage per person, per accident.
- Collision coverage helps cover expenses for repairing or replacing your vehicle if it is damaged in an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage can help pay for repairs or replacement for vehicles that are stolen or damaged by storms, vandalism or animals.
All data on average expenditures is provided by the Insurance Information Institute.
|Types of Coverage||Minimum State Requires|
|Bodily Injury Liability||$20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident|
|Property Damage Liability||$5,000|
|Uninsured Motorist||$20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident|
|Underinsured Motorist||$20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident|
|Personal Injury Protection||$8,000 per person, per accident|
|Gap Insurance||Not required|
Teen Driving Laws
All teens who want to get their driver’s license must carry auto insurance, either in their own name or as a listed driver on a family policy. They must also obtain a junior operator license (JOL), which allows them to drive with specific restrictions.3 To get this license, you must first have a learner’s permit for at least six months before taking the road test. You must also complete several hours of classroom instruction and supervised driving with a parent or guardian.
Car Registration Information
The requirements for registering a car in Massachusetts differ based on how you purchased it or if you’re a new resident seeking to transfer your vehicle over,4 but generally speaking you will need proof of ownership, correct payment and a completed registration and title application. You’ll also need proof of minimum legal auto coverage, which can take the form of a policy declaration, binder or insurance card.
What is the average car insurance cost in ?
The average monthly car insurance cost for Massachusetts drivers is $131.92+ per month. However, that rate can vary based on several factors including:
- Your driving history
- Your credit score
- Your ZIP code
- How often and when you drive your vehicle
- The make, model and year of your vehicle
You can find all manner of discounts for safe driving and for limiting the amount of times you take your vehicle on the road each month. Ask your insurance agent for more details.
Our Car Insurance Partners in
SelectQuote partners with outstanding car insurance companies to help you find affordable coverage. We work with our highly trusted insurance partners to offer you competitive rates and discounts.
Home and Auto Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the most common questions asked about home and auto insurance coverage in Massachusetts include the following.
Do you need car insurance in Massachusetts?
All Massachusetts drivers are required to carry auto insurance to protect them in the event of a car accident. This coverage, called minimum liability coverage, pays for damages incurred if you are found to be at fault in an accident.
What are some Massachusetts homeowners insurance laws?
There’s no law requiring Massachusetts homeowners to purchase home insurance, but it is important to do so to help protect your property.5 Most mortgage lenders require you to purchase insurance as a condition of financing your home. Failure to do so can break your contract. Mortgage companies can’t force you to buy coverage from a specific carrier, and they can’t compel you to insure your home for more than its replacement cost.
How much is car insurance in Massachusetts for new drivers?
New drivers can expect to pay more for insurance if they choose to purchase it on their own. This is because new drivers are generally seen to be inexperienced behind the wheel. New drivers can save money on auto coverage by being added to their parent or guardian’s insurance policy.
Do I need mobile home insurance in Massachusetts?
Many home insurance companies will not offer a traditional home policy to owners of mobile homes because these structures see significant increased risk from wind and fire damage. Instead, owners of mobile homes can purchase special mobile home coverage that offers similar protection to basic home insurance.
SelectQuote Can Shop Home or Auto Insurance to Save You Time and Money
If you’re shopping for better rates on your home and auto policies or are planning on buying a car or home for the first time, SelectQuote can help. We compare rates from several companies at once to find you the best available price on the policy you need. We shop to save you time and money by doing the legwork and offering you our unbiased recommendations based on what’s important to you. By bundling coverage, you can save money on the insurance you need.
+Average rates calculated are based on effective SelectQuote customer policies in Massachusetts between 4/1/2022 and 3/31/2023. Rates will vary based on level of coverage, location, age, and additional determining factors.